This is a list of the birds that have been recorded at Montrose Point in Chicago. The list is based on historical records and verified eBird sightings. The total as of February 2020 is 346. Status information updated in October 2018.
- Ancient Murrelet (Date of observation: November 9, 2019)
- Cassin’s Kingbird (Date of observation: September 22, 2019)
- Long-billed Curlew (Date of observation: April 13, 2019)
- Barred Owl (Date of observation: March 23, 2019)
- Long-tailed Jaeger (Date of observation: September 9, 2018)
- Mottled Duck (Date of observation: May 30, 2013)
- Green-tailed Towhee (Date of observation: Unknown)
*Photos of the May 30, 2013 Mottled Ducks reveal evidence of hybridization with Mallards, and supporting information (a date or written description) is missing for the Green-tailed Towhee. You can read about the Mottled Ducks at this link – 2013 Montrose Point Mottled Ducks (Not!).
*Based on Illinois Ornithological Records Committee (IORC) status information
Gallinaceous Birds (1)
Rails and Cranes (9)
Stilts and Avocets (2)
Diurnal Birds of Prey (12)
Old World Sparrows (2)
Longspurs and Snow Bunting (3)
Total: 346 species
: : Compiled by Geoffrey Williamson, John Purcell, and Robert Hughes
Note: An Excel version of the birds recorded at Montrose Point is available. To save this file to your computer, right-click directly on the link and select Save link as (or a similar command) from the menu that appears. Choose where you want to save the file and click the Save button. This file requires Excel to use. If you don’t have Excel on your computer you can download the free Excel Viewer from Microsoft to view Excel spreadsheets. Get Excel Viewer.